Originally built as a modest farmhouse in the mid-nineteenth century, this structure emerged from a 1930’s reconstruction in a tepid federal style. A series of subsequent additions lacked clarity in plan and were inconsistent with the period of the main house. To resolve these problems, the kitchen and family areas were reconfigured to achieve spatial continuity and to complete the spaces of the original house. Similarly, the federal character of the exterior was strengthened by the use of better proportions for the openings and by the use of materials appropriate to the style. The goal was to have the house appear to have grown, by natural extension, over a period of time.
House in New Canaan