“Le Verger” was built in 1925 by Arthur Brown Jr., the architect of the San Francisco City Hall, the house had originally been designed solely for the architect and his wife. The new owner of the house requested a renovation that would finesse the Beaux Arts exterior and modify the interior to accommodate a growing family with children. On the interior, a warren of closets, pantries and servant areas were combined to create larger family spaces. On the exterior, a layer of detail was added to the balconies, chimneys and window openings to complete the classical ensemble. Terraces were created to anchor the mass of the house and to provide usable exterior space. The renovation was punctuated with a new pool house, which drew its vocabulary and palette from the existing house.
French Villa in Hillsborough