Located adjacent to Fisherman’s Wharf, the project called for the conversion of a 1950’s Cinerama movie theater into offices for an emerging dot-com company. Although the budget was limited to a barebones $35 per square foot, the program called for a doubling of usable floor space. To accomplish this task, the unwieldy height of the former theater was subdivided by the introduction of a steel-truss mezzanine, though key areas retained their two-story volume. Rather than leveling the original sloped floor, offices were “terraced” towards the previous stage location. The exterior was left largely untouched save for lighting upgrades and a reinterpretation of the marquee.
Office in San Francisco’s North Beach